She's a Swimmer!!!!

We put Elaina in some swimming lessons at the Y for a few weeks in January.  My mom helped out in getting her there twice a week since it was in the mid afternoon and I couldn't get her there.  Thanks Mom/Granny!!!  At first, I wasn't sure that these lessons were going to get her to where she needs to be because they were keeping a floaty thing on her back the whole time.  BUT, my mom and I took her on our own a few times in between lessons and one of those days she just started swimming.  It was crazy and exciting.  She just looked at me and said "mommy, you don't have to hold me" and I let her go towards the wall and away she went.  Turns out the floaty thing helped with the concept of getting your bottom up and your body flat.  We still have to get her to where she can lift her head to breath and then put in back in but that will just take practice. 

We have been taking her as often as we can so she can get as much practice during the winter months as she can and be ready for summer pool time.  She is old enough now to go on the camping trip with Granny and Poppy Gale this summer so that is the reason we have been working on it so hard.  They will have 8 grandkids to look after so it will help to have her swimming or at least able to get to the side on her own.

I took this video of her swimming today at our visit to the Y because Erik has not been able to see her do it.  Sooooooooooo, enough rambling.....here is video of our little swimmer.  Enjoy! :)

2 comments:

The Ford Family said...

IMPRESSIVE!

Evan and Marta said...

I'm so impressed and SO JEALOUS. :) Which Y did you use? I might pursue this during the winter months too.