The Kindergartner

I am so behind on many activities that have occurred the past few weeks.  But, I want to get this blog post out since it's a pretty big milestone.  Well, not pretty big....but, BIG.  The past week or so have been spent doing end of summer fun things with Elaina - more to come on that.

Now on to the first day of Kindergarten.... It was this past Thursday, August 16, 2012.  I have had a lot of anxiety for the past 3-4 weeks over this.  Not because she was starting school, because she has been in a school of some sort since she was 1.  But, over the fact that she is a big girl and she is growing up.  I know it is a good, exciting time and I am excited by it also makes me sad that my one and only baby is growing up.  That's all.  Okay, enough of that.  We went last Friday, August 10, 2012 to meet her teacher and see her classroom.  After that, I had my big sob fest.  It was good.  I had cried a little almost everyday for 2 weeks before that day.  Since my big meltdown, I have been fine.  I just needed to really get it out.

The day was great.....


Breakfast of her choice... in her new plates of various animals with the ears for syrup dipping.  This morning she chose the elephant


Brush hair and teeth


She's all ready to go....



We got to school, walked into classroom with her.  Expected to have to coax her into sitting down but no.....no such thing


sat right down and began coloring....


I was the one who wanted the last minute snuggle and picture.


We left- watched her color for about  30 seconds more while I took this picture.  and we left.  That was that.... super easy. She was a super big girl.


2:30 could NOT come quickly enough.  We were DYING to hear about her first day.  Here she is walking out the door to greet us.


She told us the day was fun, she told us the names of the girl in her class (they only had 1/3 of the class there Thursday, everyone came on Friday).  Then she did this...


It's not that unusual for her to fall asleep in the car but it IS unusual for her to stay asleep when we pick her up out of the car.  And, when I went to lay her on the couch....  she slept for an hour - we tried to wake her up at 45 minutes but she was not having it.  She did the same thing on Friday.  She'll just have to get used to the long/busy days.  She has taken naps at school up until now.

That's about it.. Day 2 was a little harder for me.  I still did not cry but leaving her felt weird.  I think it's because all 18 of the kids were there that day.  Monday she wants me to drop her off in the car line.  So, that will be a whole new experience for me.  Baby steps... in a few weeks this will all be old news and we'll be the swing of things.....  YAH to being a Kindergartner!!!

2 comments:

Evan and Marta said...

Erin, I don't know who is cuter, Elaina or You! They never talk about the Mommy Separation Anxiety. Glad you're hanging in there.

The Schaffers said...

The pictures are so cute!!!